Simple syrup, a common cocktail ingredient, is nothing more than equal parts water and sugar. Herbs, citrus, and spices can be added to the syrup to liven up holiday drinks. To make a virgin version of this drink, substitute sparkling wine with seltzer.
- 1 cup sugar
- 11 thyme sprigs, divided
- 1 bottle sparkling wine, such as Prosecco
- 6 oz. fresh clementine juice
- 6 strips clementine zest, for garnish
- 6 oz. cranberry juice
- Bring sugar, 5 thyme sprigs, and 1 cup water to a boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat to low, and simmer
5 minutes. Cool, then strain out solids.
- Pour 1 tsp. thyme syrup into bottom of each glass. Fill glass three-quarters full with sparkling wine, then top with 1 oz. clementine juice and 1 oz. cranberry juice. Garnish with clementine zest and 1 thyme sprig.
PER 1-CUP SERVING 129 cal; <1 g prot; <1 g total fat (<1 g sat fat); 14 g carb; 0 mg chol; 9 mg sod; <1 g fiber; 12 g sugars